Tuesday 21 October 2014

Teaching Sport and Athletics

So it turns out something I always thought that I was really bad at, I am actually pretty good at teaching. As the old saying goes 'those who can't teach'. I've never been a fan of that saying, but in this case. Yes.

At school and throughout my early twenties I hated, and was appalling at sport. Sure I played in social netball teams and tried my hand at backyard cricket but I was never any good at it. During my mid twenties I took it upon myself to learn about healthy lifestyle and fitness, spending a period of time working at Les Mills gym and receiving personal sports training from a NZ world ranked decathlete. I find that these experiences, applied with my developed skills and knowledge of sport technique and fitness have left me in a rather competent position to teach athletics to my class.

This morning we had athletics training for the upcoming inter-school competition. I really enjoyed being able to teach the class simple tips and techniques which helped them fly over the high jump bar. Some still didn't make it over the bar, but did improve and were able to feel the satisfaction of the improvement... I really enjoyed seeing the improvements just as much as the children did.

So it turns out that I am actually pretty good at teaching (if I do say so myself) athletics. I am writing a blog about this because as a child and teenager I disliked athletics so much, therefore my goal is to make sure that reluctant athletes (like my previous self) do not suffer the same disdain as I did.

Afterwards the class wrote reflections about the high jump, I was really pleased to see they too noticed how the technique I taught them helped!
 






This Blogpost relates to RTC: 
2. demonstrate commitment to promoting the well-being of all ākonga. 
i. take all reasonable steps to provide and maintain a teaching and learning environment that is physically,  socially, culturally and emotionally safe
7. promote a collaborative, inclusive and supportive learning environment
ii. foster trust, respect and cooperation with and among ākonga


No comments:

Post a Comment